Chutney is an integral part of our regular diet. We, Indians, make a large variety of chutneys. You can make chutney of your own taste. Southekayi is the Kannada word (Karnataka, India) used for cucumber. It looks like english cucumber. Cucumbers have got plenty of health benefits. There is no vegetable as delightful and cooling as cucumber. They are rich in water content which helps in hydrating the body. Apart from these qualities, they are highly nutritious and contains antioxidants. Cucumbers are oftenly eaten raw, they can be enjoyed in many ways with just a bit of creativity. It will give wonderful benefits if we include it in our regular diet. Recently, I tried to make this dish in a different way using some natural herbs. You may not believe, it came out very tasty. Normally we saute the ingredients while preparing chutneys. Here, I tried to make it little bit healthier. Let’s see the preparation of Southekayi chutney.
- Southekayi/Cucumber – 1 (medium size)
- Green chillies – 4 ( It can be changed according to your taste)
- Fresh coconut (grated) – 1 small cup
- Curry leaves – 4-5 strings (around half a small cup)
- Lemon Juice – 1 -2 Tea spoon (around 1/2 medium size lemon)
- Salt – 1/4 Tea spoon ( Or according to your taste)
INGREDIENTS FOR SEASONING
- Cooking oil – 2 Tea soon
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 Tea spoon
- Asafoetida/Hing – one pinch
- Wash cucumber and curry leaves in plane running water. Cut cucumber into small pieces, separate curry leaves from its strings. Keep them in a bowl together.
- Grate fresh coconut and add it to the bowl.
- Place a small frying pan on low heat. Pour 1/2 tea soon of oil to it and wait for a minute or until the oil gets heated.
- Until oil gets heated, slit the green chillies into two or more pieces and add them to heated oil. Saute them quickly for few seconds with the help of a spoon. Take out the pan from heat once green chillies start spluttering.
- Allow sauted green chillies to cool down. It may take hardly 5 minutes. Meanwhile you can prepare seasoning.
- Take out sauted green chillies and add them to the bowl which is having other ingredients.
- Place the same frying pan on medium heat. Pour remaining cooking oil to it and wait until oil gets heated. Add mustard seeds to it, allow them to splutter completely. Add hing to it and take it off from heat and keep it aside.
- Take a chutney jar, pour sauted green chillies, cucumber pieces, curry leaves, fresh coconut, salt and lemon juice. Grind it coarsely and take it out to a bowl. Pour seasoned oil (Oggarane) to it and mix it with the help of a spoon.
- Hot and tasty Southekayi chutney is ready to serve. You can serve it with main course like roti, chapati, dosa, idli etc..
- Isn’t it healthy! Enjoy cooking.