I am bringing yet another authentic and good old sweet dish for you. This is a traditional Indian dish which is very much nutritious and tasty as well. Antu is a kannada word used for edible gum and unde is a Kannada word used for roundels Or ladoo in Hindi. The main ingredient of this recipe is edible gum. It is very helpful in gaining the strength of the body and strengthening the immune system as well. It also helps in increasing the body ability. It has got wonderful medicinal values and health benefits. It contains anti ageing property and large quantity of proteins. Apart from edible gum, we are using other ingredients which are very nutritious and healthy. This dish is offered to Lord Krishna on the occasion of “Sri Krishna Janmastami”. In North Karnataka region, in earlier days, this dish was the most important diet given as post delivery diet to mothers (at least for a month) and I think, even now, this diet is given as post delivery diet cum tonic. I learnt it from my mother and modified it a little bit for beginners. You can try it once without hesitancy because it won’t get spoiled in any condition. You can include it in your kid’s daily diet which helps them grow stronger and healthy. If you have all the ingredients in your kitchen, then it will take very less time to prepare it. Let’s see the preparation of Antina Unde.
- Antu/Edible gum – 100 grams
- Ona Khobbari/Dry coconut – 250 grams
- Bella/Jaggery – 500 grams
- Gasagase/Poppy seeds – 1 Table spoon (around 25 grams)
- Keru beeja /Marking nuts – 25 grams
- Dry fruits (almond, cashew nuts, pista and raisins) – 25 grams each
- Uttatti/Dried dates – 100 grams
- Jaajikai/Nutmeg – 1 piece
- Jaipatri/Mace – 1 piece
- Tuppa/Ghee/Clarified Butter – 250 ml
While buying edible gum, please keep in mind that they should be dry one and small crystals in size as I have shown in the picture.
- Dry the edible gum by keeping it in hot sun for 2 to 3 hours or you can dry it by using microwave oven. Keep edible gum in glass plate and place it in microwave and run it for a minute or two. Take it out and keep it aside.
- Grate the dry coconut, crush the jaggery finely, crush dried dates finely after removing seeds and make fine powder of nutmeg and mace. Keep all these separately in different bowls.
- Crush all the dry fruits into small pieces and keep it in a bowl. Add poppy seeds and marking nuts (whole) to it. Keep all together.
- Place a frying pan on high heat, pour ghee to it. Lower the heat once ghee gets heated. Start deep frying edible gum by dropping a little quantity of edible gum into heated ghee. You must be careful while frying edible gum, it starts spluttering when you drop it in hot ghee. Edible gum expands in size and it gets puffed. It will not be sticky once it is completely fried. Remove fried edible gum from ghee and place it in a strainer. Repeat the process for remaining edible gum.
- After completing frying, do not remove the frying pan from heat. Roast all the chopped dry fruits in the remaining ghee. Take out dry fruits to the same strainer.
- Once again, don’t remove pan from the heat. Add crushed jaggery to the remaining ghee and try to dissolve the jaggery in ghee by mashing it with the help of a spoon. Jaggery will be melt easily in hot ghee. After 1 – 2 minutes, turn off the flame.
- Add crushed dry dates to it and mix it well.
- Add fried edible gum and fried dry fruits along with the strained ghee to it. Add nutmeg and mace powder, grated coconut to it and mix all together thoroughly.
- Now the final step of the recipe which is making unde or ladoo. Here, you have to be very careful, the whole mixture will be very hot, your hands may get burned if you try to make unde with bare hands. Use plastic gloves or take a plastic sheet and place some quantity of mixture in it and make unde (ladoo).
- Making unde is very easy and simple. Take a small quantity of mixture in hand with plastic sheet in hand, clump hands with mixture to tighten it and give it round shape. Repeat the same process for remaining stuff.
- Tasty, healthy and nutritious Antina Unde is ready to serve. You can store for months.
- Isn’t it amazing! Enjoy cooking.