Whenever we think of bitter gourd, we feel bitterness in taste of the dish, whereas this dish tastes awesome with a little bit bitterness and wonderful flavour of bitter gourd. Hagala kayi is a kannada (Karnataka, India) word used for bitter gourd and RasaPalya is a Kannada word used for sweat & sour stew. Bitter gourd has got plenty of medicinal and healthy values. It helps a lot to improve our health if we include it in our regular diet. We can prepare varieties of recipes from bitter gourd, this is one of them. My mother used to prepare this dish regularly. You can serve it as main side dish with roti, chapati or rice. You will be happy to know that it takes hardly 10 – 15 minutes to prepare and believe me it is very delicious. You can try it at home once, you would love to do it again after tasting it. Let’s see how to prepare HagalaKayi RasaPalya.
- Haggle kayi/Bitter gourd -250 grams
- Hunase hannu/Tamarind Pulp – 8-10 pulps
- Red chilly powder – 1 1/2 Tea spoon
- Sugar – 4 Tea spoon
- Salt – 1 Tea spoon
- Yellu/Sesame seeds – 1 Table spoon
- Kottambari soppu/Coriander leaf – 1 small cup (chopped)
INGREDIENTS FOR SEASONING
- Cooking oil – 1 1/2 Tea Spoon
- Sasuve/Mustard seeds – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Kadare bele/Chana dal – 1 Tea Spoon
- Uddina bele/Udad dal – 1 Tea Spoon
- Haldi powder/Turmeric powder – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Hing/Asafoetida – 1 Pinch
- Picking up of vegetables is an important part of the cooking. You have to keep in mind that the bitter gourds chosen should be tender one. By chance, if you pick up hard one, you need not worry. All you have to do is remove seeds from bitter gourd and cook. It tastes good if you choose tender one.
- Wash and soak tamarind pulp in half cup of hot water. Allow it to soak for 5 minutes. mean while you can wash and clean bitter gourd and cut them in to small pieces.
- Clean and chop the coriander leaves finely and keep it in a bowl. Clean the sesame seeds. Roast them until they splutter completely and start leaving a pleasant aroma. Make a fine powder of it and keep it in a bowl.
- Mash the soaked tamarind and then squeeze it. Remove waste fibre by squeezing it from hand or you can sieve it. Your tamarind paste is ready to use. You can prepare tamarind paste in large quantity as well and preserve it in Refrigerator. You can use it as instant tamarind paste.
- Place a frying pan on medium heat and pour oil in it. Add mustard seeds, wait until they splutter completely. Add chana dal and udad dal to it. Stir them continuously until they become golden brown. It may take one minute. Add haldi powder and hing to it.
- Pour chopped bitter gourd to it, add salt and sugar to it. Toss it with the help of a spoon. Close the pan with lid and allow it cook for 10 minutes on low flame. This process makes bitter gourd pieces to leave water and helps in cooking evenly and softly. It also helps in retaining colour, flavour and taste of bitter gourd.
- Open the lid and check whether bitter gourd slices are cooked completely. You can check it by taking one piece in hand and press it with fingers. If it is cooked, it will be soft enough. If you feel it is a little bit harder, Sprinkle few drops of water over it, close the lid and cook it for further 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and add tamarind paste, red chilly powder, sesame ( Til ) powder to it and mix altogether well. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves over it and mix it slightly. Close the pan with lid and allow it to cook it for 1- 2 minutes.
- Sweet and sour Hagalakayi RasaPalya is ready to serve.
- Isn’t it amazing! Enjoy cooking.