Winter has arrived here in India, this is the right time to start preparing some new sweet dishes along with evening snacks or for dinner. I am going to tell you about preparation of Hasi khobbari halwa (fresh coconut dessert). Basically, inside portion of fresh coconut is called Hasi Khobbari in Kannada in North Karnataka region (Karnataka, India). We prepare a wide range of sweet dishes from fresh coconut. This is one of those. Using fresh coconut in regular diet is very good for health as it has got plenty of health benefits. This dish is very easy to prepare and it requires very less number of ingredients as well. I tried this at home using very less quantity of sugar and believe me, it was very delicious. Let’s see the preparation of Hasi Khobbari Halwa (fresh coconut dessert).
- Fresh coconut (grated) – 4 cups (you may need on whole coconut of big size)
- Sugar – 1 cup (around 200 grams)
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 Tea spoon (around 4 pods)
- Dry fruits (chopped) – 1 Small cup (optional)
- Break the fresh coconut and hold the coconut water in a bowl. Grate it finely and keep it in a bowl.
- One thing you have to keep in mind that, sugar used to prepare this dish is one fourth of the measurement of the grated coconut. Measure the coconut after grate and take sugar 1/4th of it.
- If you are using readily available fresh grated coconut available in the market, you need not worry about coconut water, instead of coconut water, you can use a cup of plane drinking water or milk. It will enhance the taste and structure of the dish if you use milk.
- Pour grated fresh coconut, sugar and coconut water or plane water or milk (which ever is available) into a frying pan. Toss the mixture thoroughly with the help of a long spoon. Keep it aside for 5 minutes, it will help the sugar to dissolve and save the time in preparing the dish.
- Place the frying pan on high flame for 2 minutes, start stirring it. Reduce the flame to medium. Keep on stirring it continuously otherwise the stuff may stick to bottom and the whole dish may get spoiled. Keep stirring until the stuff starts thickening and gets little bit sticky structure. The whole process may take 10-15 minutes.
- once the stuff starts sticking to the spoon, add cardamom powder and mix it well. Take out the stuff to a wide bottomed bowl and sprinkle chopped dry fruits. Using dry fruits is optional. It tastes good without dry fruits as well.
- Tasty and delicious Hasi Khobbari Halwa is ready to serve. You can serve it hot or cold. It tastes awesome in both the ways.
- Isn’t is easy! Enjoy cooking.