Jolada hittu (Sorghum flour) is, invariably, available in every house of North Karnataka Region (India). I am writing this recipe especially for working people. You don’t need much time for preparation and it requires vey less number of ingredients. This can be prepared instantly and served for breakfast. Jolada hittu is a kannada word which is known as Jowar atta in other Indian languages and Sorghum flour in english. Basically, Sorghum (Jola) is one of the most important staple crops grown in India. Sorghum is gluten free and it helps in controlling weight. It is highly nutritious and it will be much beneficial if you include it in your daily diet. In Norther region of Karnataka, we include sorghum flour in our daily meals. We prepare Roti, Masala rotti (Thalipeet), dosa and so many other dishes from sorghum flour. Preparing plain jolada rotti (bhakri) may be little bit difficult, that is the reason, I am writing this recipe for you which is very easy to prepare. You need not worry at all because it won’t get spoiled in any conditions. You can serve it with chutney, pickles, veggies or bread spreads or jam because this is like a plain dosa. Making this dish is so simple and healthy that you may wonder and love to do it again. Let’s see the preparation of jolada hittina dosa.
- Jolada hittu/Sorghum flour – 1/2 cup
- Curds – 1/2 cup (Optional)
- Chiroti Rava/Fine Semolina – 1 Table spoon
- Salt – 1/4 Tea spoon
- Cooking soda – 1 pinch
- Cooking oil – 1Table spoon
- Clean and sieve the sorghum flour and pour it in a bowl. Add chiroti rava and salt, mix it with a spoon. If you don’t have chiroti rave in your kitchen, you can use bombay rava (fine semolina). If you use bombay rava, you wil have to leave the batter to set for 10-15 minutes. Using either chiroti rava or bombay rava gives crispness to dosa.
- Add curds to it and mix it thoroughly so that there should not be any lumps. Add cooking soda to it and mix it once. Keep it aside for 5 minutes to set. If you don’t want to use curds or you don’t have it in your kitchen, you can use water instead of curds to prepare the batter. But if you use curds, it gives a pleasant flavour and taste to dosa.
- Place a non stick tawa (pan) on medium heat and allow it heat. Once pan gets heated (it may take 2-3 minutes), pour a spoon of batter over pan and spread it uniformly in circular motion. Sprinkle few drops of oil over it or you can use oil brush for greasing and allow it to cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn the dosa upside down with the help of a ladle. Allow the other side to cook for 1 minute. Once again turn it upside down. Fold it by half, take it out and place it in a serving plate. Serve it hot with chutney of your choice.
- You can prepare this dosa without using oil as well. It will be as tasty as the dosa made using oil.
- You have to repeat the process for the remaining batter. Healthy and nutritious jolada hittina dosa is ready to serve.
- Isn’t it easy! Enjoy cooking.