Majjige huli is one of the traditional food which is prepared in most of the festive meals in all southern states of India. Majjige huli is a very popular and affordable dish which can be prepared with less expenses. My mother used to prepare this dish to clear off the left out sour curd by making butter milk out of it and prepare majjige huli. Now, in present days, that is not the situation, because we don’t let the curd become sour, we preserve it in refrigerator. Even now, we can prepare this traditional dish in a modern way. I tried making this dish using tofu as main ingredient, believe me it came out very tasty and texture was very beautiful. I used tofu as main ingredient because I wanted to use tofu in our regular diet in different ways. Tofu is widely enjoyed food made by curdling fresh soya milk, pressing it into a solid block and cooling it. Tofu is an excellent source of protein and contains all essential amino acids. Tofu has a subtle flavour which helps in enhancing the taste of this dish. let’s see how to prepare Majjige huli with Tofu.
- Tofu – 100 grams
- Yogurt – 100 ml (around half cup)
- Gram Flour – 2 Table spoon
- Onion – 1 (Medium size)
- Ginger – 1 inch in length
- Green chillies – 2 (You can vary the quantity as per your taste)
- Curry leaves – 6 – 8 leaves
- Cooking oil – 1 Table spoon
- Hing (Asafoetida) – 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds -1/4 Tea spoon
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) – 1/4 Tea spoon
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Salt – 1 Tea spoon (according to your taste you can change the measurement)
- Wash and clean all vegetables. Chop onion and green chillies into small pieces. Make a fine paste of ginger, cut tofu into small cubes and keep all the ingredients separately.
- Sieve the gram flour, pour it to a mixing bowl. Add yogurt to it and beat it thoroughly with the help of a whipper or a spoon and keep it aside.
- Place a sauce pan on medium heat. Pour oil into it, allow it to heat, it may take one minute. After oil gets heated, add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter completely. Add hing, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, ginger paste and chopped green chillies (one after the other leaving a gap of 5 seconds). Roast them slightly for 5-10 seconds.
- Add tofu cubes to it and roast them softly for 2-3 minutes or until they turn into brown colour. Add chopped onion to it, toss it and allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes, toss them in between. Add half cup of water and salt to it and allow it to boil. Once it starts boiling add mixture of gram flour and yogurt, mix it well. Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes, stir it continuously while it is cooking. The mixture starts changing its colour which means it is cooked completely. Take out the pan from heat and close the pan with lid. Allow it to set for 5 minutes.
- The tasty and healthy Vegetarian stew with yogurt and tofu (Majjige huli with tofu) is ready to serve. You can serve it hot or cold, it tastes awesome in both the ways. You can serve it with roti, chapati, paratha and with rice varieties.
- Isn’t it interesting! Enjoy cooking.