Are you a bitter gourd lover? Then here comes a hot and spicy recipe made from bitter gourd. This is a spicy, crispy and crunchy tea time snack. Hagala kayi is basically kannada (India) word used for bitter gourd and it is known as Karela in Hindi. You can try this dish once and I am sure, you would love to have it again and again. Variety of dishes can be prepared from bitter gourd, this recipe is one of them. The name of the vegetable itself indicates that it is the most bitter in taste and and at the same time, it has got plenty of health benefits which can be derived by including it in your regular diet. It helps in managing diabetes, immune system and many more. You can serve this dish as side dish in lunch or you can serve it with evening tea or any time you can have it as snacks. You don’t need to spend much time for preparation, you can prepare it instantly. Let’s see how to prepare the crispy and crunchy Hagala kaki chips.
- Bitter gourd/Hagala kayi – 200 grams
- Salt – 1/4 Tea spoon
- Sugar – 1 Pinch
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Chat masala – 1/4 Tea spoon (Optional)
- Cooking oil – 1 Tea spoon
- Picking up of the vegetables is very important part of the cooking. Here, in case of bitter gourds, you have to pick tender one. By chance, if you bring hard one, you need not worry at all. All you have to do is remove seeds from bitter gourd round slice before cooking.
- Wash and clean bitter gourds. Cut them into round and thin slices as shown in the picture.
- Place a wide bottomed frying pan on medium flame and pour oil into it. Wait until oil gets heated, it may take 2-3 minutes.
- Once oil gets heated, lower the flame and add bitter gourd slices and start roasting it by tossing it slightly.
- After one minute, sprinkle salt and sugar over it and toss it thoroughly so that each and every slice should be coated with sugar and salt.
- Roast it on low flame for 15-20 minutes or until slices turn into blackish brown colour and crisp. While roasting, toss it randomly now and then. This process makes the bitter gourd slices crispy and crunchy. Sprinkle red chilly powder and chat masala once slices become crispy.
- You can cook it in microwave oven as well. Take a microwavable glass container, pour bitter gourd slices in to it. Place it in microwave oven with out covering it with lid. Set the time for 5 minutes and start the microwave oven.
- Check the slices whether they turned into crisp, if not, cook it further for 2-3 minutes more in oven. Leave it in oven for further 10 minutes.
- Follow the same procedure, as above,for heating the oil on flame.
- Place a wide bottomed frying pan on medium flame, lower the flame once pan gets heated, it may take 2-3 minutes. Pour oil into it.
- Take out the container from microwave oven and pour semi roasted bitter gourd slices in to heated oil. You will notice one thing here, once you pour microwave roasted slices in to heated oil, they start expanding slightly. This is the indication that slices are crispy and they will become light and crunchy once they get roasted in oil.
- Sprinkle salt, sugar, red chilly powder and chat masala (optional) over it and toss it slightly. Roast it further for 2-3 minutes so that spices should stick to slices. Take the pan off the flame and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Hot and crispy Hagala kayi chips are ready to serve.
- Isn’t it easy!
- Try it once, you would love to do it again and again.
- Enjoy cooking.