This is a good old and most popular Indian side dish, made from green mangoes. Basically, it is a kannada word used in Karnataka(India) for green mango pickle or kachhe aam ka achar. ‘Mavinakayi’ means green mango or kachhe aam and ‘uppinakayi’ means pickle or achar. Normally, green mangoes are available in summer and it is the right time to prepare it.
The best part of it is – it can be stored for the whole year and it will not get spoiled. I am going to show you the easy way of preparing this recipe, at the same time you will have to take care of certain things so that pickle will stand for the whole year. Choosing of mangoes is also very important. You have to choose fresh mangoes, which are hard in nature. Let’s see the preparation of tasty and tangy green mango pickle.
- Green mangoes/mavinakayi – 4 (medium size or any size available in the market)
- Salt – 100 grams (around 4 table spoons) – depending upon the size of mangoes you can change the measurement
- Mustard seeds/sasuve – 100 grams
- Mustard oil/sasuve enne – 200 ml
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1 Tea spoon
- Turmeric/Haldi – 1 Table spoon
- Red chilly powder(Byadagi menasinakayi powder) – 4-6 Table spoons (Or according to your taste)
- Wash the mangoes with plane water, clean them with a clean cloth. Allow them to dry complete, no single drop of water or moisture should be there on mangoes, otherwise, the whole pickle will get spoiled. Leave them for around 1/2 hour to dry up.
- Cut the mangoes into 1/1 inch or according to your requirement. Pour them into a clean and dry bowl. You can use steel or glass bowl or any utensil available in you kitchen.
- Add salt,1/2 tea spoon hing and 1/2 table spoon haldi to it. Mix them well with the help of a spoon. Close the utensil with a lid and leave it to marinate for 5-6 hours. Meanwhile, you can prepare other things which are neccessary for pickle.
- Haldi works as preservative in case of pickles, if you use little bit more haldi, is also good for pickles.
- When mango peices are marinated with salt, it will leave plenty of water by itself. You will have to add the whole thing (mango peices along with its water) to seasoned oil.
- Takeout 1 tea spoon of mustard seeds and keep them in a plate, these are used for seasoning. Make a fine powder of remaining mustard seeds with the help of mixer. Take it out and keep it in a bowl.
- Heat a frying pan or kadhai on medium heat. Pour mustard oil to it. After 2 minutes, add 1 tea spoon mustard seeds to it. Mustard oil takes a little bit more time to get heated. Allow mustard seeds to split completely. Add remaining part of hing and haldi to it and take out the kadhai from heat. Allow it to cool down completely. It may take 2 hours to cool down completely.
- Add marinated mango pieces along with its water, mustard powder and red chilly powder to it. Mix them thoroughly so that all ingredients should be mixed well. Pour it to a bowl and close the lid. Leave it to set for one day.
- Store it in a dry and clean bottle. your tasty and tangy mango pickle is ready to serve.
- Whatever measurements, I have mentioned, may very. But you need not worry about that. After one day, you check the taste of pickle, if you feel salt and red chilly powder is little bit less, you can add another 1 or 2 spoons of salt and red chilly powder to it.
- How you will come to know that salt and chilly powder is less in pickle. There is a simple way to find it out. When you taste the gravy of pickle, if you feel it is sour, it means some more salt is required to the pickle.
- Try it once for a little quantity. You will definitely love this.