This is a south Indian dish made from tur dal and methi seeds (fenugreek seeds). This dish is served as main side dish with rice and rotis. Fenugreek seeds have got excellent medicinal values. If used regularly fenugreek seeds help in lowering cholesterol level and it provides many more health benefits. I learnt it from my mother, she used to prepare it on stove (lakadi ka chulha). Now a days, we are using pressure cookers and gas stove, it is very easy to prepare and you will be happy to know that it consumes very less time. It may take hardly 15 minutes to prepare this delicious dish. Let’s see how to prepare Menthy huli or methi dal.
- Tur dal/Togari bele/Split red gram – 100 grams (around 1/2 cup)
- Methi seeds/Fenugreek seeds – 1 1/2 Tea spoon
- Red chillies – 2
- Tomatoes – 2 (medium size)
- Cooking oil – 2 Table spoons
- Mustard seeds/Raai/Sasuve – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Jeera/cumin seeds – 1 Tea spoon
- Turmeric powder/Haldi – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Hing – 1 pinch
- Green chillies – 1
- Curry leaves – 6-8 leaf
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 Small cup
- Salt – 2 Tea spoon (Or according to your taste)
- Wash tur dal with plane water and keep it in a bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups water or you can measure water three times of tur dal. Allow it to soak for 5-10 minutes, soaking of dal, makes the dal softer.
- Break the red chillies one by two and keep them in a plate.
- Cut the tomatoes into big peices. Don’t cut them into small peices. You can cut into 4 peices, if tomatoes are big, you can cut into 8 peices.
- Place a pressure cooker (capacity of 2-3 litres) on medium heat. Add methi seeds, broken red chillies and a drop of oil to it. Roast them on low heat until methi seeds start spluttering and turn to brown colour. Adn it starts leaving aroma of its own kind.
- Add chopped tomatoes and soaked tur dal along with water to it. Mix them with a spoon. Close the cooker with lid and cook it on medium heat. Allow it to whistle thrice and remove from heat.
- Pressure will come down within 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, you can prepare for seasoning/tadaka.
- Chop the green chillies and corriander leaves. Keep them in a plate separately.
- Place any utensil available in your kitchen on medium heat and pour oil to it. After 1-2 minutes, add musterd seeds and allow them to splutter, immediately after spluttering, add jeera, hing, chopped green chillies, curry leaves and haldi – one after the other. You have to add haldi at last. Fry them for a while with help of spoon.
- Add the contents of cooker that is cooked dal and salt to it. Cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped corriander leaves to it and remove from heat.
- Your delecious methi dal ready to serve.
- If you want to make it little bit sour, you can add lemon juice or green mango pulp or tamerind paste. Anything of your taste.