This is a summer drink, which is prepared all over the world, but known by different names and procedure may differ a little bit. In India, it is known as Kachhe aam ka panna, Sharabat and by many more names. In Karnataka (India), it is known as “Mavinakayi panaka”. Mavinakayi is a kannada word used for unripe mango/green mango/kachhe aam and panaka is a traditional kannada word used for juice/sharabat.
Apart from being delicious and represhing, it has got many other health benefits. It beats the heat and prevents you from sun stroke and dehydration in summer. It is rich in Vitamin C and it helps in digestion. I am using cardamom powder, which gives cooling effect to the drink and pleasant flavour as well. Instead of cardamom powder you can use cumin seeds powder. You will be happy to know that the procedure is very simple and less time consuming. Let’s see the preparation of this delicious drink.
- Green Mango (Mavinakayi/kachhe aam) – 2 (Medium size)
- Sugar (Sakkare/Shakkar) – 250 grams (around 1 1/2 cups) – You can change the measurement accordingly
- Salt – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Cardamom Powder – 1 Tea spoon ( I have discussed the procedure the preparation of cardamom powder in this blog post)
- Wash the mangoes with water and remove the end of it (which is connected to stem). Keep it in a plate.
- Take a pressure cooker (capacity of 2 or 3 litres). Pour 2 cups of water (around 400 ml) and place mangos in it. Close the pressure cooker with lid.
- Place the cooker on medium heat and allow it whistle thrice. Take out cooker from heat and let pressure of cooker come down. It may take 10 – 12 minutes.
- Remove the lid of cooker and allow it cool down for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Takeout mangos in a bowl and don’t throw out the water inside the cooker. The water contains flavour and taste of mango.
- Squeeze the mangoes to extract pulp with hands. Or you can extract pulp by removing skin and seed.
- Blend the extract and remaining water in the cooker with the help of a mixer.
- Strain the extract with the help of a strainer. You need not use any extra water, whatever remained in cooker, is enough for blending and straining. Pour the extract to a bowl.
- Place a steel utensil on medium heat, add 5oo ml of water and sugar to it. Stir it continuously until sugar dissolves completely. Remove the utensil from heat. You can change the measurement of sugar according to the sourness of the mangoes you are using.
- Add salt, cardamom powder and mango extract to the sugar syrup and mix it well with the help of a spoon. Strain it so that uniform, thick juice will come out.
- Pour it in a bottle and store it in refrigerator. You can store it for more than a month without spoiling.
- Delicous and healthy Green mango juice is ready to serve.