Avalakki bhath is a kannada word used for ‘Poha bhath or Beaten rice special dish’. This is a South Indian dish, which is made from beaten rice and some spices. This is served as breakfast. Beaten rice is a staple breakfast diet especially in rural and semi-urban areas. It is low cost wholesome food with good nutritional value. It can be eaten in different forms like raw, fried, with curds (or yogurt) or milk. It can be prepared at a short notice and in less time. It is also a convenient food item to prepare and have.Let’s see the preparation of avalakki bhath or “poha bhath”.
- Dappa Avalakki (Thick poha/thick beaten rice) – 1/4 Kg (around 2 cups)
- Roasted Groundnuts – 2 Table spoon (we are using 1 spoon for gravy and 1 spoon for seasoning)
- Puthani (Roasted split gram/Daria dal) – 1 Table spoon
- Fresh coconut (grated) – 1 Small cup (Or you can use dry coconut powder)
- Tamarind paste – 1 Tea spoon ( I have discussed the procedure the preparation of tamarind paste in this blog post)
- Tomato – 1
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 small cup
- Curry leaves – 8-10 leaf
- Bisi bele bhath masala – 1 Tea spoon (I have discussed the procedure to make Bisi bele bhath masala in this blog post)
- Salt – 1 Tea spoon (according to your taste)
- Red chilly powder – 1 Tea spoon
- Jaggery – 1 Table spoon (or one small piece or you can use 1 table spoon sugar)
- Edible oil – 1 Table spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 Tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Hing – 1 pinch
- Haldi powder – 1/2 Tea spoon
I am not using vegetables, if you want you can use any vegetable. You can substitute hing with onion and garlic.
- Take a medium size mixer jar, add 1 table spoon of roasted groundnuts, puthani (roasted split grams), grated fresh coconut,tamarind paste, tomato (cut into 4 pieces),coriander leaves, salt ,jaggery, red chilly powder and bisi bele bhath masala. Grind it by adding 1/2 cup of water for 2 to 3 minutes. Add another 1/2 cup of water and grind it. Grind it coarsely and takeout the paste to a bowl.
- Wash avalakki with plane water, drain it by squeezing with hands and keep it in a plate.
- Heat a wide bottomed frying pan (Kadhai) on medium flame and pour oil in to it.Add mustard seeds to it and wait until they start spluttering, add 1 table spoon of groundnuts, cumin seeds, curry leaves, hing and haldi powder (one after the other) to it. Stir them for 1 minute.
- Add grounded paste and 1 more cup water to it and mix it well. Allow it to boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add washed and squeezed avalakki to it and mix it well and close the kadhai with lid. Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Tasty and delecious avalakki bhath is ready to serve. You can serve it to 4 persons.