Palya is a kannada word used for ‘Sabzi or Pan Fried Veggies’, seasoned with a little quantity of natural spices. Palya is a side dish, which is served with rotis, chapatis and rice along with dal or sambar. Grean beans are very low in calories and contain no saturated fats. They are rich in dietary fiber and good source of vitamins and minerals. They help in reducing blood cholesetrol level. This is a healthy wholesome dish, Veggie lovers must try it once. Let’s see how to prepare Beans Palya.
- Green Beans – 1/4 Kg
- Green Chillies – 3-4
- Dry coconut powder – 2 Table Spoon
- Coriander Leaves (chopped) – 1 Small Cup
- Salt – 1 Tea Spoon (or accoding to your taste)
- Sugar – 1 pinch (1/4 tea spoon)
- Edible oil – 1 Table Spoon
- Mastard seeds – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Chana dal (split bengal gram) – 1 Tea Spoon
- Udad dal (split black gram) – 1 Tea Spoon
- Haldi powder (Turmeric powder) – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Hing (Asafoetida) – 1 Pinch
You can prepare dry coconut powder in home, it is fresh and tastier than ready made coconut powder available in the market (desiccated coconut powder). Cut one dry coconut into small pieces or grate it and grind it to a fine powder. You can store it in a bottle for 2 months. You can store it in Refrigerator.
- Wash the green beans with plane water. Remove the ends of beans with hands so that strings will come out. Cut them into small pieces or you can cut them into any shape you want. Keep it aside.
- Wash and drain the coriander leaves. After 5 to 10 minutes, chop them into small pieces. Clean and cut the green chillies into small pieces. Keep them in a plate separately.
- Heat a Kadhai (or Frying Pan) on medium flame and pour oil in it. Add mustard seeds, wait until they splutter completely. Add chana dal and udad dal to it. Stir them continuously until they become golden brown. It may take one minute. Add chopped green chillies and stir them for 10 to 15 seconds. Add haldi powder and hing to it.
- Pour chopped green beans to it and Sprinkle 1 tea spoon of salt and a pinch of suger over it. Mix all the ingredients with the help of a ladle (long handled spoon). Close the kadhai with lid and allow it cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- While cooking the vegetables, if you sprinkle salt and suger (required quantity) over it. It will make the vegetable to leave the water in it and cook it in that water itself, so that it will be cooked evenly and softly. It will help to retain the colour,flavor and taste of the vegetable as well.
- Open the lid and check whether beans are cooked or not. you can check it by taking one piece of beans in hand and press it with fingers. If it is cooked, it will be soft enough. If you feel it is little bit harder, Sprinkle few drops of water over it, close the lid and cook it for further 5 minutes.
- Open the lid, spread chopped coriander leaves and dry coconut powder, evenly allover the cooked vegetable. Mix them well and close the lid. Allow it to cook on low heat for 1 or 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- Now your tasty green beans palya is ready to serve.