Gajjari halwa or carrot halwa is an Indian sweet dish which is made from carrot and sugar. Normally, this dish is prepared using milk. I am preparing this dish without using milk. This is very tasty and delicious and healthy too. My son loves this very much and I often prepare this dish for him. This is a simple sweet dish which requires very few ingredients. You will enjoy cooking this dish because you need not be expert in cooking for preparing this dish. It is so simple to remember the steps. Let’s see the preparation of tasty and delicious carrot halwa.
I am showing, here, preparation of halwa using a small quantity of ingredients. Once you expertise in this, you can prepare for larger quantity. I always do this, If I am doing any new thing in cooking, I do it for smaller quantity. If the dish comes out tasty then I will prepare in larger quantity. You can try this.
- Carrots – 1/4 Kg (around 3-4 in number)
- Sugar – 150 grams (around 1/2 cup)
- Ghee – 1 Table spoon
- Pumpkin seeds – 1 small cup (around 25 grams)
I use only pumpkin seeds as dry fruits. You can use any type of dry fruits you want and you can increase or decrease the quantity as well. If you don’t use dry fruits, then also it will come out very tasty. I am not using cardomom or any type of essence or flalouring agent for this dish. Carrot has got its own flalour.
- Wash the carrots with plane water and grate them. Keep them aside.
- Place a frying pan on medium flame and pour a table spoon of ghee in it. Add grated carrot in it and mix it well. Close the pan with lid and allow it to cook for 5 minutes on low flame, which helps in softening the carrot.
- Open the lid and stir it gently. Cook it further for 10 minutes, stir it once in a while so that it will be cooked uniformly.
- Add sugar, mix it gently with spoon and cook it on medium flame for 15 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. After adding sugar, the dish will leave water, you will have to cook it until it absorbs all water and become thick. This process makes the dish tastier.
- At the final stage, add pumpkin seeds and stir it. Keep cooking continuously.
- With the help of a spoon, takeout a small quantity of halwa and touch with fingers. You should feel the stickyness of the halwa. If you feel it is not done completely, you can cook it for further 5 minutes. Take out the halwa to a serving bowl.
- Your tasty and healthy Gajjari halwa is ready to serve. You can serve it hot or cold, it is tastes good in both ways.