This is an Indian dish made from rice and coriander seeds. This dish is prepared in different ways in different parts of our country. We can have this for breakfast. I have seen my Mother- in-law preparing this dish. I have slightly modified it and it came out very tasty and delicious. Coriander seeds are excellent source of minerals like iron, copper, calcium and many more. They are also rich in dietary fiber and they have got pleasant aromatic quality. You will be happy to know that it takes only 15 minutes to prepare this dish and procedure is also very simple. Let’s see the preparation of Dhaniya Rice.
- Sona Masoori Rice (or Basumati) – 200 grams (around 1 cup) – You can use any type of rice
- Coriander Seeds(dhaniya) – 1 Tea Spoon
- Cumin Seeds(jeera) – 1/2 Tea Spoon
- Onion – 1
- Green Chillies – 4 (you can increase or decrease the number according to your taste)
- Salt – 1 1/2 Tea Spoon
- Cooking Oil – 1 Table Spoon
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 Tea Spoon
- Cimin Seeds – 1/2 Tea Spoon
- Curry Leaves – 8-10 Leaves
- Coriander Leaves (chopped) – 1 Small Cup
- Wash the rice with plane water and soak it in water for 10 minutes. Soaking the rice before cooking helps to soften the rice after cooking.
- If you are using basumati rice, you can add 2 cups water for 1 cup rice. If you are using sona masoori or any other type of rice, you can add 2 ½ cups of water for 1 cup rice.
- Cook the rice in pressure cooker or electric rice cooker.
- Pour the cooked rice in a wide bottomed bowl. Do not tamper it, leave it as it is, if you tamper it, it will be mushy. Sprinkle salt over cooked rice evenly.
- Slightly roast the coriander seeds and cumin seeds (roast them only for 2 – 3 minutes). Make a fine powder of it with the help of grinder. Sprinkle the powder over cooked rice evenly.
- You can prepare this masala little more and store it in a bottle. You can use this masala next time when you prepare this rice.
- cut the green chillies and onion into small peices and keep them separately.
- Heat a small pan, pour oil in it, add mustard seeds and allow them to split. After splitting, add cumin seeds, chopped green chillies and curry leaves, one after the other (you can keep 1 minute difference) and Stir it with a spoon.
- Add chopped onion and roast them slightly for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- Important thing to be noted while preparing seasoning is – whenever you add any ingredient to hot oil, you have to stir it continuously otherwise they will be burnt and become black, they taste bitter also. Continuous stirring helps the ingredients to generate a pleasant.
- Pour the seasoned oil over cooked rice. Leave the rice as it is for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, spread chopped coriander leaves over rice. mix them well.
- If you want you can add fried dry fruits to it, it will enhance the taste and flavour of the rice. Now tasty and delicious Coriander Rice is ready to serve.
- This rice can also be prepared with the leftover rice.