This sweet is mainly prepared in the southern part of India. This dish is made from beaten rice (avalakki/rice flakes/poha) and jaggery. This dish is offered as naivedyam/prasaad to God during festivals and poojas. Beaten rice is easily digestable. It is fat free and cholesterol free. The most wonderful quality of beaten rice is – it is beneficial for obese and hypertensive people. I am using jaggery here, which is rich in iron and acts as antioxidant. This dish is very tasty and healthy. You will be happy to know that it is easy to prepare and takes hardly 15 minutes. Let’s see the preparation of this sweet dish.
- Avalakki/Beaten rice (Thick) – 200 grams (around 1 cup)
- Jaggery/Gud – 200 grams
- Fresh coconut (grated) – 1 cup
- Ghee – 1 Table spoon
- Cardamom Powder – ½ Tea spoon
Adding dry fruits is optional. If you want you can add any type of dry fruits. I am not using dry
- Heat a wide bottomed pan. Pour beaten rice in it and roast them for 1-2 minutes on medium flame. Roasting helps in removing rawness of the beaten rice. Take out roasted beaten rice from heat and transfer them to a bowl.
- Wash the roasted beaten rice with plane water. Soak them in ½ cup luke warm water so that beaten rice will be softened soon. Close the bowl with lid and keep it aside.
- Crush the jaggery and keep it in a plate. Pour grated fresh coconut in a mixer jar. Add ½ cup warm water to it and grind it to a fine paste. Add some more water and grind it again. Take out the paste to a bowl.
- While grinding fresh coconut if we use warm or hot water coconut paste will be smoother and thicker. Coconut will leave its extracts fully and taste will be enhanced.
- Place a pan on medium flame. Pour soaked roasted beaten rice along with water to pan. Cook it for 2 minutes on medium flame. Add crushed jaggery and coconut paste to it. mix all together with the help of a spoon.
- Cook it for 10 minutes on medium flame. Add cardamom powder and ghee to it. mix it well so that the mixture should absorb all ghee. Close the pan with lid and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- If you want you can add dry fruits before adding ghee and cardamom powder or along with ghee. Remove from the heat and allow it to settle down for 5 minutes. Now your tasty and delecious avalakki payasa ready to serve. If you want you can add some more ghee to it while serving. You can serve it hot or cold.