These chips are made from wheat flour and ash gourd/winter melon (Budhu Kumbalkai) water. These are served as tea time snacks. Ash gourd has got wonderful qualities. It is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. My grand father used to say that it works as a brain sharpener. It has got cooling effect on stomach acids and many more health benefits. These are very healthy and tasty. These chips can be stored for 1 month. The preparation is simple and easy and takes less time. Let’s see how to prepare these chips.
- Wheat flour – 200 grams
- Winter melon/Ash Gourd/Budhukumbala kai – ¼ of whole melon
- Cumin seeds – 1 Table spoon
- Butter – 1 Tea spoon
- Salt – 1 ½ Tea spoon ( according to your taste)
- Cooking oil – 200 ml
- Remove seeds and skin of ash gourd (winter melon) and grate it with the help of home grater. Takeout water from grated ash gourd with the help of tea strainer. Hold the strainer on a bowl and pour grated ash gourd in it. Squeeze the pulp with clean hands so that water will be separated from the pulp. Keep the pulp and water separately. We are using the ash gourd water here. You can prepare halwa from the left out pulp.
- Pour cleaned wheat flour in a wide bottomed bowl. Add cumin seeds, salt and butter to it. Mix it well with the help of hands so that butter should mix well with the flour. Here, you can use hot oil instead of butter. Heat 1 table spoon oil and pour it on dry flour and mix it with the
- help of a spoon. Here you can not use your hands because the temperature of the hot oil is very high. Your hand may burn. After 5-10 minutes you can mix it well with clean hands.
- Start kneading flour by adding ash gourd water. Don’t add all water together, add water slowly while kneading. Knead the dough to the chapati consistency. Knead well with the hands so that dough should be softened. Close the bowl with lid and allow the dough to set for 15 minutes. Don’t throw out the remaining ash gourd water. You can make it a health drink. Add little salt and few drops of lemon juice to it. You can have it as health drink.
- Place a kadhai on medium heat and pour oil into it. meanwhile you can prepare chips. Apply a drop of oil to hands and rolling surface so that dough should not stick to the surface and hands as well. Takeout dough and knead it once again and make big balls.
- Take one ball, make it little flat by hands and apply little oil on both sides of it. Place it on rolling surface and start rolling it in circular manner as like rotis. Roll it until it becomes thin layer.
- While rolling you can use oil but not flour. If you use dry flour, it will leave the dry flour in oil while frying and oil will be spoilt. Cut them in small pieces in square or any shape you want. Put them in heated oil one by one and deep fry them until they get golden yellow colour.
- Remove from oil and place them on a tissue paper. You can notice one thing that after frying they expand in size and become lighter. Repeat the same procedure for remaining dough. You can serve them hot or leave them to cool down for 15-20 minutes and then you can store them in a dry, airtight bottle. Now hot chips are ready to serve.