This is an Indian dish. This is mainly prepared in southern part of India. This is a substitute for curry and sambar. This dish is made from buttermilk and fresh coconut. Preparation of Majjige Huli (also called Paladya or Kadi) is very easy and takes very less time. It will take hardly 15 minutes to prepare this dish. This dish can be prepared with or without vegetables. Here, I am using snake gourd (padavala kai). Lady finger (Bende kai) or Pumpkin (Kumbala kai) are also used to prepare this dish. Let’s see the preparation of this dish.
- Buttermilk (sour) – 200 ml (around 1 cup)
- Snake gourd – 1 (small size)
- Chana dal (split Bengal gram) – 1 Table spoon
- Fresh coconut – ½ cup (100 grams)
- Ginger – 1 inch in length
- Green chillies – 4 -6 (Increase or decrease the number as per your taste)
- Curry leaves – 6 – 8 leaves
- Cooking oil – 1 Table spoon
- Hing – 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi seeds) – ½ Tea spoon
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1 Tea spoon
- Turmeric powder (Haldi) – ½ Tea spoon
- Salt – 2 Tea spoon (according to your taste you can change the measurement)
- Wash chana dal with plane water and soak them in one cup of warm water for 30 minutes. If you don’t have that much time, you can use chana dal flour (besan or kadle hittu). If you use chana dal, the taste will be enhanced.
- Pour soaked chana dal with water in a mixer jar. Add grated coconut, curry leaves, green chillies to it. Peel off the skin of ginger and put it in jar. Grind all the ingredients to a fine paste. Add another ½ cup of water to it and grind it again, so that coconut will leave its extract fully. Take out the liquid in a bowl and keep it aside.
- Chop the snake gourd into round pieces and keep them in a plate.
- Heat a wide mouthed pan and pour oil into it. Add mustard seeds to it and wait until they split. After splitting add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, hing and haldi powder to it. Stir them for 1-2 minutes. Add chopped snake gourd to it and sprinkle ½ tea spoon salt over it. Mix them well very softly and close the pan with lid. Allow them to cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- After 5 minutes, remove the lid of the pan. Check whether snake gourd pieces are fully cooked or not. It is very easy to check this. Take out one piece of the vegetable with the help of a long handled spoon. Press it with finger, if it is smooth means it is fully cooked. If it is hard, you will have to cook it for another 3-4 minutes.
- After snake gourd is fully cooked, add the prepared paste (liquid) and remaining salt to it. Boil it for 5 minutes on high flame. When it starts boiling, add buttermilk to it. Cook it for 3-4 minutes. Now your hot and spicy majjige huli is ready to serve.