This is a traditional Indian sweet dish which is prepared on special occasions like festivals. This dish prepared from rice and sugar. Most of the people like to have this sweet. This is very healthy and this is not very heavy on the sweet content. The preparation of this dish is very easy. And also, it consumes very less time. It will take hardly 20-25 minutes to prepare. Let’s see the preparation of this sweet dish.
- Rice (Sona Masoori) – 200 grams (around 1 cup)
- Sugar – 200 grams
- Saffron – 6-8 Threads
- Ghee – 1 Table spoon
- Cloves – 6
- Cardamom – 5-6 in number
- Fresh coconut – 1 cup (grated) – It is optional, if you want you can use otherwise leave it.
- Dry fruits – 50 grams (Cashew nuts, almonds and seedless raisins)
- Milk – 1 Table spoon
There are many ways of preparing this sweet dish. I am going to tell you the easiest way of preparing Kesari Bhat.
- Wash the rice with plane water. Pour the washed rice in to a pressure cooker (capacity of 2 or 3 litres). Add 2 ½ cups(500 ml) of water to it. Leave it to soak for 10 minutes. Whenever any type of rice item is prepared, it is better to soak rice for minimum of 10 minutes so that rice will become softer and tasty. If you have electric rice cooker in your kitchen, it is better to use electric rice cooker. The results will be better this way. Rice and water proportion for electric rice cooker is the same.
- Keep pressure cooker on medium flame. It will take 10 minutes to whistle. Allow it to whistle twice. Take off the cooker from heat. It may take 5-10 minutes to get down the pressure. Meanwhile you can make other preparations.
- Pour a table spoon of warm milk in a small bowl. Soak saffron in that milk. Keep it aside. Make a fine powder of cardamom. Grate the fresh coconut and keep it in a bowl. Keep each item separately. Cut the dry fruits into two pieces (except dry grapes). Keep them in a bowl.
- Heat a big pan on low flame. Pour ghee into it. Add cloves to it and wait until they split. When they start splitting, add dry fruits and fry them until they get golden brown colour. Add soaked saffron with milk to it. Add sugar to it immediately. Stir it continuously until sugar get dissolved. It may take 3-4 minutes to dissolve. Add grated coconut to it and mix it well.
- Now add cooked rice and cardamom powder to it. Mix all ingredients slowly so that rice grain will not be mushy. Close the pan with lid. Cook it on low flame for 3-4 minutes. Take off the pan from the heat. Now tasty and healthy kesari bhat is ready to eat.