This is a traditional North Indian dish. It is made from Rajma (kidney beans) and other natural spices. It is served as a side dish with rice and all types of rotis. Rajma has a pleasant flavor and is reddish brown in colour. It is rich in proteins, minerals and fiber. It helps in improving blood flow in the body and there are many other health benefits too. This is a very tasty and spicy dish and everybody would like to it. The most important thing is that it takes only 30 minutes to prepare. Let’s see the preparation of this dish.
- Rajma beans – 200 grams (around 1 cup)
- Tomatoes – 3
- Onions – 2 (medium size)
- Garlic – 6 flakes
- Ginger – 1 piece (1 inch in length)
- Green chillies – 2
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tea spoon
- Coriander leaves – 1 small cup (chopped)
- Cooking oil – 1 Table spoon’
- Mustard seeds – ½ Tea spoon
- Ground nuts – 2 Table spoon (it is optional; you can use it if you want, otherwise leave it)
- Chana dal – 1 Tea spoon
- Udad dal – 1 Tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tea spoon
- Haldi powder (turmeric powder) – ½ Tea spoon
- Salt – 1 ½ Tea spoon
- Suger – ½ Tea spoon
- Wash the Rajma beans with plane water. Soak them in a big bowl adding plenty of water (around 1 litre) so that they will expand in size very well. Soak them overnight for better results. If you are using canned beans, you can use them directly. But it is good for health to use dried Rajma than the canned one.
- Drain water from soaked beans. Pour soaked Rajma beans directly in to a pressure cooker (capacity of 2 or 3 litres). Add a glass of water (1 cup) and ½ tea spoon salt to it. Close the pressure cooker with lid. Keep the cooker on low flame. Remove the cooker from heat after it whistles thrice. Cooking on low or medium flame helps in enhancing the flavor of the beans. The beans will become soft as well. Allow the cooker to cool down. It will take 10 minutes to cool down. Meanwhile you can prepare the remaining masala.
- Cut tomatoes into medium size cubes. Pour them in to small jar of mixer. Grind it to a fine paste without adding water. Now your tomato puree is ready. Take out to a small bowl. Tomato puree is readily available in the market. If you can’t prepare it in home, you can purchase it from the market. But it is better to prepare it in home. It is very easy to prepare at home. The home made puree will enhance the taste of the dish.
- Peel off the skin of garlic flakes and ginger. Make the paste of garlic, ginger and green chillies together, without adding water. Take out the paste to a small bowl.
- Chop the onions into small pieces. Chop the coriander leaves. Keep them aside separately. Now seasoning part begins.
- Heat a big pan, pour oil in it. Add mustard seeds and wait until they split completely. Add groundnuts, chana dal and udad dal to it. Stir them continuously until they become golden brown. It may take one minute.
- After that, add cumin seeds and haldi powder to it. Add ginger, garlic and green chilli paste immediately. Roast them with the help of a ladle. After 10-20 seconds, add chopped onions. Roast them for 1 or 2 minutes. Add tomato puree to it. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and suger over it. Mix all the ingredients with the help of a ladle. Close the pan with lid and allow it cook for 3-4 minutes. While cooking the vegetables, if you sprinkle salt and sugar over it, it will help retain the colour and flavor of the vegetables. Also, it will be cooked evenly and softly.
- Open the lid of pressure cooker. Take out a small cup of boiled beans. Mash them with the help of blender or mixer. Pour the mashed beans to big pan. Mix them well and cook them for 3-4 minutes. Add remaining boiled beans to it. Add remaining salt and red chilli powder to it and mix it well. Cook it for 5 minutes. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix them well. Close the pan with lid and cook it for 5 minutes on low flame. Remove from the heat and leave it as it is for 10 minutes so that its aroma will be enhanced. Now hot and tasty Rajma Masala is ready to serve.