This is an Indian dish. It is made from rice and lemon along with a few spices. This is a very tasty dish which can easily be digested. You can have this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you are planning for a picnic, you can prepare this dish and take with you. It is more tasty after cooling down. You will be happy to know that it is very easy to prepare and it will take around 30 minutes. Let’s see the preparation of this dish. You can even prepare this dish with left over rice.
- Rice – 200 grams (around 1 cup; you can use any type of rice)
- Lemon juice – 3 Tea spoon ( or you can use one big lemon)
- Salt – 1 ½ Tea spoon
- Cooking oil – 1 Table spoon
- Mustard seeds – ½ Tea spoon
- Chana dal (split Bengal gram) – 1 Tea spoon
- Udad dal (black gram) – 1 Tea spoon
- Groundnuts (small in size) – 1 Table spoon
- Green chillies – 3 (you can increase or decrease the number according to your taste)
- Curry leaves – 6-8 leaves
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 small cup or 1 Table spoon
- Fresh coconut (grated) – 1 small cup
- Haldi powder (Turmeric powder) ¼ Tea spoon
- Hing (Asafetida) – 1 pinch
- Wash the rice with plane water and soak it in water for 10 minutes. Soaking the rice before cooking helps to soften the rice after cooking. If you are using basumati rice, you can add 2 cups water for 1 cup rice. If you are using sona masoori or any other type of rice, you can add 2 ½ cups of water for 1 cup rice.
- Pour the cooked rice in a wide bottomed bowl. Do not tamper it, leave it as it is. If you tamper it, it will get mushy. Sprinkle salt over cooked rice evenly. Pour lemon juice over cooked rice evenly. Now, seasoning part begins.
- Heat a small pan and pour oil in it. Add mustard seeds and allow them to split. After splitting, add groundnuts, chana dal and udad dal, one after the other (you can keep 1 minute difference).
- Cut the green chillies in to small pieces and add them to heated oil. Stir with a spoon. Add curry leaves, hing and turmeric powder to it. Remove the pan from heat. Important thing to be noted while preparing seasoning is – whenever you add any ingredient to hot oil, you have to stir it continuously otherwise they will be burnt and become black, they taste bitter as well. Continuous stirring helps the ingredients to generate a pleasant flavor and to become golden brown colour.
- Pour the seasoned oil on cooked rice. Leave the rice as it is for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, spread grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves over rice. Mix them well, you can also add some more salt and lemon juice to it if you want. Now your tasty lemon rice is ready to serve.