This is a side dish in Indian meals. It is made out of skin of ridge gourd. It is used as a side dish for rotis, chapati, paratha and any type of rice. In normal course, we peel the skin of ridge gourd and throw it out. Most of us don’t have much information about ridge gourd skin. It is a good source of dietary fiber. It has excellent blood purifying properties which helps to purify, restore and nourish the liver. This dish is very healthy and tasty. It will take hardly 10 – 15 minutes to prepare. Let’s see the preparation of this tasty chutney.
- Ridge gourd – 4
- Green chillies – 6- 8 (you can use red chillies instead of green chillies)
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 Tea spoon
- Tamarind paste – 2 Tea spoon
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 cup
- Curry leaves – 10 – 15 leaves
- Salt – 1 tea spoon
- Ground nuts – 1 small cup (2 table spoon)
- Cooking oil – 2 Tea spoon
- Musterd seeds – ½ Tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tea spoon
- Hing (asafetida) – 1 pinch (you can use garlic instead of hing)
- First you have to taste the heerekai (ridge gourd) with skin, cutting the edge of it. Sometimes they taste bitter. If it tastes bitter, don’t use it for chutney, otherwise taste of the chutney will be spoiled. After testing the taste of all ridge gourd, peel off the skin of ridge gourd, take the skin and cut it into small pieces and keep it in a bowl. You can prepare one more recipe (sabji) from the remaining part (inner part) of the ridge gourd as side dish for rotis.
- Heat a pan on medium flame and pour 1 tea spoon oil to it. Add fenugreek seeds, roast them with the help of a ladle. Add groundnuts After 1 minute, roast them together for 3 minutes and then add green chillies to it. While adding green chillies, break the chillies in to 1 or 2 pieces, so that they will not split wildly after adding them in oil. Roast them in oil along with fenugreek seeds and groundnuts for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add chopped skin of ridge gourd and mix them well, close the pan with lid. Allow it to cook for 5 minutes on low flame. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and check whether the skin has become soft or not. If skin is softened, it means it is cooked properly. Otherwise you can cook it for another 2-3 minutes closing the lid. Remove the pan from heat, leave it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can prepare tamarind paste. If you want, you can prepare it at home. Otherwise, you can purchase it from the market. It is better, healthy and hygienic to prepare it at home. Take a small cup of tamarind pulp, wash it with plane water and soak them in one cup of warm water (around 200 ml). After 10 minutes, make a fine paste of it by grinding it in a mixer jar (small one). Take a clean and dry wide mouthed bottle, pour the paste in to it. Store it in the refrigerator. You can use this paste for 8-10 days or more than that.
- Heat a small pan on medium flame and pour the remaining oil in it. Add mustard seeds and wait until they split. Now add cumin seeds and hing to it, remove it from heat immediately. When mustard seeds split, it means that the temperature of oil is very high. But cumin seeds require very less heat to split. If you leave on heat after adding cumin seeds, the whole seasoning will be spoiled. Keep it aside.
- Take a mixer jar and pour all cooked stuff to it. Add salt, tamarind paste, chopped coriander leaves, curry leaves and a small quantity of water (around 50 ml or less than that) to it. If you want you can add garlic too (6 flakes). Grind it to a fine paste. Take out the paste to a bowl, pour the prepared oil with mustard seeds and cumin seeds to it. Mix it well. Now tasty and hot chutney is ready to serve.