This is an Indian traditional sweet dish which is prepared on special occasions like festivals. This dish is made from moong dal (split green grams) and jaggery. It is a good source of protein and fiber. This dish helps to overcome from acidity problems. You can have it twice a week. You will be happy to know that it is very easy to prepare and in very less time. It will take hardly 20 -25 minutes to prepare. Let’s see the preparation of this tasty sweet dish.
- Moong dal – 200 gms (around 1 cup)
- Jaggery – 200 gms
- Ghee – 2 Table spoon
- Cardamom – 6 -8 (make a fine powder of it)
- Cashew nuts – 8 – 10 (you can use any type of dry fruits and as much you want)
- Seedless Raisins (Dry grapes) – 10 – 15
- Dry coconut (Grated) – 1 small cup
- Roast moong dal in a pan on medium flame, until they get golden brown in colour and start releasing a nice aroma. Remove pan from heat and rest it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Wash the roasted moong dal with plane water. Take a pressure cooker, pour roasted moong dal into it, add 3 cups (around 600 ml) of water. Close the cooker with lid. Keep it on heat on medium flame for 10 minutes or until it whistles thrice. Allow the pressure come down.
- In the meantime, you can make some other preparations. Mash the jaggery and keep it in a bowl. Crush cashew nuts and keep it in a separate bowl. Make a fine powder of cardamom and keep it in a small cup. Grate the dry coconut and keep it in another bowl.
- Open the lid of pressure cooker, add mashed jaggery and mix it well. Keep the pressure cooker (without lid) on heat. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Heat a pan and pour 1 table spoon ghee to it. Add crushed cashew nuts and raisins and slightly roast them.
- Pour the mixture of moongdal and jaggery and grated dry coconut to it and mix them well with a ladle (long handled spoon). Boil them for 5 minutes.
- Add cardamom powder and remaining 1 table spoon ghee to it. Adding the cardamom powder at the end enhances the flavor and taste of the dish. Powder will not lose its flavour if you add it in the last. Close the pan with lid and boil it for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Now your tasty hesaru bele payasa ready to serve.