Shaavige looks like thin noodles and they come in thin long sticks. You can either use vermicelli or spaghetti pasta, it will only differ in the width of the noodles. Vermicelli sweet dish is one of the good old traditional Indian sweet dishes. There are two types of vermicelli available in the market – rice vermicelli and wheat vermicelli. We are using wheat vermicelli here. Wheat vermicelli is tastier than rice vermicelli, they are relatively low in cholesterol and carbohydrates, and healthy too.
This dish contains lots of nuts and dry fruits. We are using very less quantity of sugar, so everybody can taste it once. You can increase the quantity of sugar according to your taste. It is very healthy for kids who refuse to drink milk. It is very easy to prepare and it takes hardly 20 minutes. Let’s see the preparation of this dish.
- Wheat vermicelli – 200 gms
- Sugar -50 gms
- Ghee – 1 Tea spoon
- Milk – ½ litre
- Fresh cream – 1 Table spoon
- Cooking soda – one pinch
- Cardamom powder – 1 Tea spoon
- Saffron – 5-6 threads (we should know a little about saffron)
- Dry fruits – 100 gms (almonds, cashewnuts, pistachios, walnuts, seedless raisins, pumpkin seeds etc); you can add any type of dry fruits.
- First, crush all the dry fruits into small pieces except raisins (dry grapes) and pumpkin seeds. Keep it aside in a bowl.
- Take a utensil and pour milk in it. Boil it until it reaches boiling point. When milk starts coming up in the utensil, take out the utensil from the heat.
- Take a small bowl, pour 1 table spoon of boiled milk in it and soak saffron threads in it so that it leaves its colour and flavour fully. Saffron is a good old spice and it has got medicinal values. It protects eyes and retina from stress. It is very strong in colour and flavour, that is why we are using a very small amount of it.
- Heat a pan and pour 1 tea spoon ghee in it. When ghee starts melting, add all crushed dry fruits, pumpkin seeds and seedless raisins along with vermicelli (broken into small size around 1 to 2 inches in length). Fry them stirring continuously. Continuous stirring makes uniform frying. Fry them until they get golden brown color and start leaving a flavour.
- Add 100 ml (about ½ glass water) to it, allow it come to boiling stage. Now add boiled milk along with a pinch of cooking soda, here we are using soda as preservative for milk. Wheat vermicelli contains a little quantity of salt in it, which may spoil the milk after boiling with vermicelli.
- Add sugar, fresh cream, cardamom powder and soaked saffron to it. Boil it for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Now delicious vermicelli dessert is ready to serve. You can serve it hot or cold. You can try it once, kids as well as elders will like this sweet dish.