This dish is made up of Kabuli Chana (chickpeas) along with other natural spices. We can have this for breakfast. Even people with diabetes can have this food for breakfast, because chickpeas are a healthy source of carbohydrates. They help in lowering cholesterol in the bloodstream.
This recipe is spicy and tasty. If you do some prior preparations, you can prepare this dish in 30 minutes. Let’s see how to prepare this spicy and hot dish.
- Kabuli chana (chickpeas) – 250 grams
- Dry Coconut (grated) – 1 cup
- Groundnuts (small in size) – 2 Table spoon
- Chana dal (Split Bengal gram) – 1 Tea spoon
- Udad dal (black gram) – 1 Tea spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tea spoon
- Hing (asafoetida) – one pinch
- Haldi powder (Turmeric powder)
- Red chili powder – 1 Tea spoon
- Salt – 2 Tea spoon
- Cooking oil – 1 Table spoon
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 small cup
- Lemon juice – 2 Tea spoons (or you can use one teaspoon vinegar)
- Soak Kabuli chana in sufficiently more water for 4 to 6 hours (or you can soak them overnight), because after soaking it will be double the size.
- Drain the water and put the soaked chana in a pressure cooker. Add a glass of water (around 100 ml) and a 1 & 1/2 tea spoon salt to it. Cook it for 15 minutes on low flame. Cooking on low heat makes chana soft and will be fully boiled. After cooker whistles thrice, remove cooker from heat. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Heat a pan and pour oil in it. Add mustard seeds to it and allow them to split. After splitting, make the flame low and add groundnuts, Bengal gram and black gram. Fry them till they get golden brown colour, which gives a different taste to dish.
- Now add a small amount of Hing (asafoetida) and turmeric powder. This enhances taste and flavor. Hing also works as an antibiotic and protects from diseases. Now pour boiled chana with remaining water in cooker to it. Add red chili powder and cook it until chana absorbs all remaining water over high flame. While boiling, chana leaves its important contents in water. That is why it is better not to pour the remaining water out, allow it to absorb.
- Add a little salt, lemon juice, grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves to the dish and mix it well so that all the spices mix well and spread evenly.
- Close the pan with lid, allow it to cook for 3 minutes.
- Hot and spicy kabuli chana is now ready to serve. Try it once and you will feel like preparing it over and over again.